Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mixing the Two/Going Against the Grain

I was reflecting on the location of my apartment last night as I was walking to the corner store at 11:30 to buy ice. My location is perfect for starting a fellowship of people of different socio-economic backgrounds. To the north of my apartment is an upper-middle class area (AmpliaciĆ³n Los Angeles) that would parallel many common North American neighborhoods, and everything to the south is a poor area (called Moderna) with many people out in the streets until the wee hours of the morning.

Moderna has many more visible evidences of need for the Gospel because the people are more visible. In AmpliaciĆ³n Los Angeles people stay in their houses more, and it will be more of a challenge to enter into their lives and get to know them without some specific connection. It will be beautiful to see fellowship in Christ between to groups that society does not permit to meet together.

No comments: