Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Marcos and Mormons

Yesterday I went to the beginning of a seminar on teaching English as a Foreign language in Mexican Junior High Schools. It was quite interesting to get that insight as an outsider, but what was even more interesting was that God lead me to visit with two young teachers that turned out to be Christians. This was a gathering of over 100 English teachers from all over Torreón, and the two I visited with on our break were Christians!

Even more interesting to me was that one of the guys is a family friend of Marcos Witt. He grew up in Durango nearby, which is Marco's stomping grounds. The fellowship we had together was encouraging, and they were my first new friends in Torreón.

Later as I was leaving the school building, I met up with several Mormon missionaries who had just finished a regional meeting. I think it was pleasant for those on both sides of the religions to have found fellow Americans, and they were suprised that I knew about their religious background and history. I think I won some special respect, and they already have my respect because the Mormon missionaries have been good to me all over the world, even in the middle of the Amazon rainforest.

FUN STUFF

No comments: