Friday, March 24, 2006

Punctured Tires

Tuesday morning I got up to enjoy a delicious breakfast of oatmeal with cinnamon and crepes with strawberry marmalade that Leslie’s mother made. Leslie and I later went to their old house in Chapala to pick up some gifts for my mom and sister. While we were driving over to the other neighborhood, suddenly my car ran over something and made a terrible horrendous noise, but because my tire did not go flat, I assumed it was OK.

After we went back to Leslie’s house in Lerdo, I packed up everything and said my final goodbyes to all the family (lots of extended family was there eating at the restaurant). I loaded into my faithful old car and headed out on the Boulevard Miguel Aleman. Thousands and thousands of people were lining the boulevard at that hour for a huge parade that was soon to began. I had a vision in which all those people were anxiously awaiting the Messiah instead of the parade. I long to see the day in which metropolises like the Laguna will in unity seek the coming of our Savior.

I continued on to Torreon to meet Brother Ernesto Lomas (a friend of my grandfather’s since the 1940’s). We met and went to get gasoline, and while I was filling up, he started checking my fluids and tires. One tire was 15 lbs. low, so we inspected the rubber. To our surprise there was a huge piece of metal sticking out of the tire! I praise God he showed us that before we set out for the endless deserts of northern Mexico. Although almost everything in the city was closed for the holiday, we found a small tire shop that was open. The quiet old man repaired my tire for $8, and Ernesto and I set out on the road only 1 hour later than we had planned.

More adventures to come… and hopefully some pictures.

No comments: