Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Papaw's Peculiar Sayings

One of the joys of living with my 92-year-old grandfather is hearing the funny things he has to say. He has a peculiar way of saying things that must be a hodge-podge of mannerisms that he has picked up through almost of century of interacting with people from literally all over the globe.

I have decided to begin making a collection of "Papaw's Sayings" as a special memory for my family to remember, laugh at and cry over as we remember our patriarch after he has preceded us into our Father's presence.

Would you like to read some? I thought I might start including them regularly in my blog. Why not start today...?
____________________________________________________
Papaw's Peculiar Corner
When we look at the wall-size window in our dining room that looks over our backyard, Papaw sees the squirrels scurrying across the power lines or the top of the fence, and he makes the remark:

"Those squirrels can't walk across that power line like that, [he hesitates] but they don't know that... so they go ahead and do it anyway."

Then he smiles and chuckles softly in admiration of the marvelous way God created the little critters. I will never watch a squirrel cross a fence top or a power line without remembering my Papaw with a little chuckle and a tear in my eye.

2 comments:

Anne Maria said...

Great to hear from you again! I can understand that you need time to do your schoolwork. My work is in Norwegian... Have you checked out the www.connecteurope.org side? Our grandfather seems like I great man. Bless you!

Anne Maria said...

I see that I wrote wrong one place in my comment. I meant to write "your grandfather", but wrote "our".. so that was a mistake...:-)